The Page & Moy Travel Group consists of three brands: Travelsphere, Page & Moy and Just You. The firm offers a range of escorted holidays to destinations worldwide.Receptional’s brief was to improve the performance of the PPC account for Page & Moy. Receptional was tasked with increasing the number of passengers per brand, reducing the cost per acquisition and, ultimately, increasing overall profitability.
- Passenger numbers were not growing in line with the company’s expectations.
- There was a lack of exposure for many tour areas and offerings. We set a target of 100% exposure for all holidays and tours for all three brands.
- There was overdependence on brand related keywords for bookings and brochure requests. Non-brand keywords were delivering few bookings or brochure requests.
- There was a lack of granularity in the campaign structure. Poor performing keywords and adgroups were adversely affecting the overall campaign performance.
- The travel market is dynamic. So, a high degree of flexibility and responsiveness are required to manage the client relationship and to keep pace with market changes, including sales and promotional offers.
- Ad performance had stagnated with many ads not using up-to-date best practice. We quickly realised that ad optimisation and testing was required in order to improve the quality of ad copy and to bring it in line with the audience’s needs.
- The campaign wasn’t optimised to match customers’ buying patterns. Budget forecasts weren’t geared towards the seasonality of the travel market. Successful PPC campaigns rely on having the right budgets in the right months – to maximise the return on ad spend across the year.
- Further passengers were generated through increasing the size and exposure of the three brand accounts, in order to generate growth.
- An increase in the volume of bookings and brochure requests from generic, non-brand traffic, through smarter promotion of tours, highlighting their USP’s in more compelling ad copy.
- Exposure was maximized by growing the account significantly. This involved setting up tens of extra campaigns, hundreds of extra ad groups and using 10,000’s of extra keywords across the three brands in order to make the account as granular and targeted as possible.
- More specific campaigns were setup with highly refined keyword lists on the appropriate match types, in granulated ad groups based on search volume and relevancy to improve quality scores.
- A team of six consultants worked directly on the three brand accounts, with two senior paid search consultants managing the three brands on a daily basis. This management involved working weekdays and weekends, well outside business hours, in order to manage the accounts, and was necessary in order to achieve optimal performance and ultimately the significant year-on-year improvements mentioned below.
- Promotions were kept up-to-date and managed closely, in order to support offline activity and ultimately the company’s wider business objectives.
- Numerous budgeting and forecasting exercises were undertaken, involving the analysis of recent performance data, coupled with historical data and seasonal data provided by suppliers such as Google. This identified key trends and enabled us to advise on optimal budget levels, in order to improve their return on investment throughout the year.
The travel season is often busiest from January to March. Here’s how the campaigns improved from 2010 to 2011:
- Total passenger bookings up +224.45%
- Passenger cost per acquisition down -12.84%
- Revenue up +233.65%
- Conversion rate up +69.43%
- Total brochure requests up +31.34%
- Return on investment up by +17.98%
And a testimonial
Here’s what the client had to say about the campaign: “Since we’ve started working with Receptional, the increase in sales and efficiency has proven that not only do Receptional know what they’re talking about, but that they also have the skills to follow-up the words with immediate and effective actions.” Rowan Shaeffer – Travelsphere
Get in touch
If you’d like to know more about Receptional’s PPC team, and how we can help make your business more profitable, please get in touch.
Address: Receptional Ltd, 7 Station Square, Flitwick, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom, MK45 1DP | Tel: 01525 715520