105 Tips and Insights From HeroConf 2015
The Receptional team headed down to London for the latest HeroConf, a conference devoted solely to PPC.
Paid Search Consultant, Chris Whyatt, attended the two day conference and picked up over 100 tips and insights from the talks attended.
The Future Of PPC
by Brad Geddes Founder – Certified Knowledge
1. As an agency decide what do you want to be in 5 years time
2. Do the agencies of the future need to be a multi touch point provider?
3. PPC is the natural place to test multi-channel touch point intergration
4. Adwords isn’t one channel, it’s six: Search / Display / Behavioral /Video / Shopping and Apps on both Desktop and Mobile
5. Mobile Ad extensions are extremely important due to the massive real estate given to mobile Ads
6. Responsive design isn’t always the right mobile strategy
7. CTR is 1.9x higher, when you show a mobile ad vs a desktop ad on mobile
8. No one should be manually bidding anymore. Automation!
Essential Google Adwords Innovations in Q4 2015
by Alan Coleman & Brendan Almack CEO and Client Direct – Wolfgang Digital
9. Remarketing within GA, allows you to leverage over 200 dimensions
10. Social media is for customer advocacy
11. Transform “The Elegant Conversationalist into The Elegant Digital Marketer”
12. Target high volume keywords for previous customers
13. Mobile performance should dictate account performance
14. When optimising, start with mobile
15. Marketers need to understand mobile impact on conversation rates
16. Is this bye bye to mobile SEO?
17. Utilise user ID’s in Google Analytics to track users across devices
18. Remember that unattributed traffic “Dark Traffic” is listed as direct traffic in Google Analytics
19. Use both YouTube and Facebook for video advertising
20. Facebook video advertising is cheaper and engagement is better
Perfecting Your PPC Ad Testing
by Brad Geddes Founder – Certified Knowledge
21. Single Ad group A/B testing is good for brand keyword or high volume keywords
22. Ask the big questions (what do you want to know) before testing
23. Ads don’t drive conversions, they direct people to websites which convert users
24. Use consistent data when preforming tests
25. Are you addressing consumer needs with Ad testing?
26. Think about the users needs before Ad testing
27. Is the data consistant across device?
28. Calls To Action work better on different devices
29. You can expect a 97% uplift in CTR if an Ad group displays mobile preferred Ads, compared to only desktop
30. If one person makes a difference to the data, you don’t have enough data!
31. If you are not at least 90% confident in the results, leave the test running
32. Never stop testing
Ad Copy Is Dead, Long Live Ad Copy
by Alex Rigler Head of Customer Insight – Adthena
33. Use headlines to grab the user’s attention
34. Think about what makes your ad different
35. Understand the competition to see what drives preformance, then be different
36. Use display URLs for keyword insertion
37. Test, test and more of ad copy to see what works
Sucking The Commercial Air Out Of SERP
by Michael Stricker Marketing Director – SEMrush
38. Top advertisers are migrating to shopping campaigns
39. Shopping ads are out preforming standard text ads with the addition of product photos, price and ad extensions
40. Plan campaign breakdowns to make shopping campaigns manageable
41. Perform competition analysis, what works well, what the prices are, what keywords are they using
42. Eliminate waste by using negative keywords
43. If you are an e-tailer and not using shopping campaigns, why not?
From Searches To Searches
by Tor Crockatt EMEA Regional Director – Microsoft
44. Currency in search are the questions and answers
45. People are looking for what is relevant to them
46. Keywords are now only one signal among many to focus on
47. As marketers it is our job to understand users and react to their needs
The Top 10 Social Media Advertising Hacks of All Time
by Larry Kim CTO and Founder – Wordstream
48. Facebook ads don’t require a large budget
49. You can do paid social ads with only $50!
50. App searches have overtaken desktop searches
51. Most Search Ads = Direct Conversions
52. Social Paid Ads = Indirect Conversions
53. Selectively promote the best social media content to increase exposure
54. Paid social media will save the day
55. Quality Score rewards awesomeness
56. Get 10x greater leverage in social ads than search
57. Tweet as often as possible, but only look to promote your best stuff
58. Precise ad targetting can increase engagement rate
59. Push hard offers with remarketing
60. Call buttons in social ads are a game changer
61. The more you do social media ads the better it gets
62. Indirect conversions can create demand for your products
63. Be the unicorn in a sea of donkeys!
Favourite PPC Mistakes And How To Avoid Them
by Laura Collins PPC Team Leader – Periscopix
64. Broad match is the biggest cause of PPC mistakes, eg: over spend!
65. Add negatives to direct traffic to the right Ad group
66. Check search query reports at least once a month
67. Make sure all ads are spell checked
68. Be careful of using DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion) with spelling mistakes
69. Use daily reporting to look out for anomalies
70. Re-check bid adjustments every quarter
71. Use budget tracker scripts to help keep track of client budgets
72. Everyone is human, so triple check all settings!
PPC Game Changes: Tools And Automations
by Anu Adegbola Senior PPC Account Manager – Premier Farnell
73. The landscape of PPC SERP has changed a lot and continues to change
74. Bid management dynamic campaigns are only as good as the information provided
75. Adwords scripts are great for helping manage large accounts
76. Adwords API = Adwords Scripts 2.0
77. Adwords API allows you to run greater scripts and provides better flexibility
78. Automation is the future, however a human touch is still neccessary
Quality Score Insights From An Ex-Googler
by Frederick Vallaeys CEO – Optmyzr Inc
79. Shopping Campaigns have Quality Scores
80. Shopping Ad Quality Scores can be reset by changing the item ID’s
81. If organic results are more relevant that Ads, then no Ads will be displayed
82. Ad rank takes into account Quality Score, Extensions and Max CPC Bids
83. Keyword Quality Score is updated at least once every 24 hours
84. Moving Quality Scores above rank 5 have a greater increase on CPCs
85. Quality Score is aggregated from Desktop and Mobile Quality Scores
86. Quality Score is mostly a factor of CTR
87. Google care about exact match keywords, which impact Quality Scores
88. Google is a CPM publisher not a CPC publisher!
89. Landing pages are a small part of overall Quality Scores
90. Pause or remove poor Quality Score keywords to stop them affecting account Quality Score
How And Why You Should Integrate Video Into Your Digital Advertising
by Cristian Ignat Head of PPC – 2Parale
91. Videos are about stories that don’t fit into banners
92. Videos are about describing your products
93. Video can be used by any industry
94. Video is about being brave with your message and make it go viral
95. Videos are about emotional advertising
96. Video is about context
Winning The Moments That Matter
by Biren Kalaria Head of Performance Activation – Google
97. ‘How To’ searches have tripled in the last few years
98. Search is becoming very local
99. ‘Near Me’ searches have grown 34x and 80% from mobile since 2011
100. 50% of consumers who conduct local searches on smartphones visit a store within a day
101. There are more intent signals than ever before
102. Bids for total conversions, will no longer need a mobile bid adjustment, if using ‘conversion optimizer’ or ‘ROIS’ bidding strategies
103. Make sure you are there during the ‘moments that matter’
104. Being mobile optimised is now a must!
105. Last click attribution will no longer help in a multi-device world.
As always, these top tips were created on the day so if you spot a mistake or any errors, please let us know in the comments.